It’s been a busy few months around Casa de Blundell!
We’re both heading back to work after an extended weekend (3 days for Jonathan – 5 days for Laurie!) so I thought it might be time for another brief.
Weekend injury report ::
- A number of splinters in my hands
- A few small cuts in my hands
- A smashed toe
- General soreness
- A bruised head
Weekend accomplishments ::
- I (believe) Laurie’s finished hanging all our pictures and decor in the new home. I don’t see any other frames or boxes lying around as of right now.
- Added additional decking to our attic to store our Christmas decorations and four child car seats (see the injury report). For some reason our builder felt it was a liability issue to put decking in the attic before we moved in — however the wood they put in for a pathway to our A/C unit felt like more of a liability than anything else. They used (maybe) 1/2″ plywood on 2′ foot beams. Let’s just say at 235 lbs I was a bit leery walking around much up there. I replaced it and added additional decking with 3/4″ OCB that I have no worries about standing on now.
- Installed a new tool rack in the garage. I’ve been using a larger Rubbermaid tool rack for most of my long handle tools, but it takes up more room than is necessary — especially for my few number of tools. I opted for a new wall rack ($12 a Lowes) that saves space and gets the tools up and out of the way. The new rack was super easy to install and only took 10-15 minutes to do. (See photo)
- Hung our bikes in the garage. In order to optimize space, we decided we’d hang our bikes from the ceiling in the garage to get them off the floor. We bought four bike hooks from Lowes ($3 each) and after getting the spacing right along the ceiling rafters it was a cinch to screw the hooks in and mount the bikes from the ceiling, giving us additional floor space below. (See photo 1, 2)
- Finished organizing the garage. With the changes noted above, I was able to clear out a number of things in the garage and organize things a bit better so now Laurie can continue parking her car in the garage — and I can park my truck in the driveway without blocking her from coming or going. (See photo 1, 2)
Church hoppin’ ::
With May 2nd being our last official Sunday at encounter, we’ve known we’ll be needing to do some church hoppin’/shoppin’ in the coming weeks. With the move, a return to encounter for our friend’s wedding, a trip to Austin for another friend’s wedding, we haven’t had much of a chance to visit the churches in the area other than via their websites.
Yesterday was our first “official” church shopping day and we visited Life Community Church nearby where my sister and her hubs attend. It was a nice experience. We both feel like we could be happy there — but nothing grabbed us and said, “this is the place you should be.”
So we’ll keep looking. I think we have two or three definite churches we want to visit and then after that, we’re not sure what we’ll do. Neither of us want anything further than a 10-15 minute drive (if that). So that does limit our options.
But we’ll see where we’re led and keep you posted.
Baby update ::
We’re having a boy! (Well at least one!) At our monthly check-up on Thursday we found out that we’re definitely having at least one boy — and the other one is more than likely a boy as well — but we couldn’t get a good shot with the sonogram to be certain.
We’ll have a high-risk (Level 2) sonogram next week and we’ll likely find out for sure more about our babies and if they other one is in fact a boy (or a girl).
Mom and babies seem to be doing great and they seem to be growing and developing at the proper rate.
Thanks for your continued prayers!
Conked my head ::
In case you missed the tweet…
Walking into the garage + looking down + not realizing the garage door wasn’t fully open = nice dent in the door and bump on my head
Let me explain in a little more than 140 characters. 1st off I’m OK. The garage door will make it OK as well.
We made a run to Dairy Queen last night to get a frozen Blizzard (Laurie’s been craving one all weekend).
We made it to the local Dairy Queen only to realize my wallet was still at home in the nightstand. DOH!
So we turned back around and once we came in I started to jog up the driveway. I noticed right away I was a bit sore for jogging (see accomplishments and injury report above). So while I held my leg a bit I was looking down, assuming the garage door was opened all the way and the next thing I knew — I was on my back in the driveway. I ran smack into the garage door with my head. Yup! Knocked me flat on my back. Laurie said she heard the collision from the truck. I shook myself off, went in to get my wallet and other than a slight bruise to my head and a slightly larger one to my ego — I think I’ll be OK.
Final notes ::
- Enjoyed my last “official” Laundry Love in Red Oak over the weekend. Todd, Kai and I went through all our money just before the two hour mark. First time we’ve ever run out of money. We had a great time sharing love with everyone and hearing stories from each of them.
- Enjoyed stopping by Briana Treadaway’s graduation party for a bit. Congrats to all the 2010 seniors!
- Enjoyed spending Sunday evening with the Kiefers. They came to see the new house, enjoyed some great spaghetti made by Laurie and we enjoyed a firework show in Sunnyvale put on by a local church. Quite impressive.
- Enjoyed watching Babies with the ladies in our family yesterday afternoon. A great testament to how various cultures raise their children and how often we think our children need the latest and greatest toys — but how content and happy they can be just spending time near their parents.
So what did you do this weekend?