Looking back and moving forward

Traffic cone
Traffic cone | Photo by Jonasb

It’s been nearly two months now since Laurie and I left the plains of Red Oak for the fields of Forney.

As part of the move, we of course carried with us a number of dear memories and relationships that we made during our four years with encounter.

Luckily, we don’t leave these things behind when we move — we carry them with us.

Yesterday, Brian and I were trying to remember when it was that he shared an illustration that’s stuck with me and others ever since.

Setting out four construction cones around him, Brian drove home the point that we should be building spaces of grace wherever we go — especially as followers of The Way.
Continue reading Looking back and moving forward

#justicefriday – Healthcare and Imagination

Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove dreams a new dream for healthcare and the church.

Read more of his thoughts at Sojo.net.

May we all BE the Church we dream of.

(HT @zoecarnate)

Help us build a well

Right now, almost a billion people on the planet don’t have access to clean, safe drinking water. That’s one in eight of us.

Over at We Live Simply (We Live Simply so Others May Simply Live) we’re working with charity:water to raise money for a new fresh water well for those in need.

CLICK HERE TO GIVE
Continue reading Help us build a well

Brian McLaren at TransFORM

A couple of weeks back, Brian McLaren talked to a room full of missionally-minded church planters and lay people at the TransFORM East Coast Conference (which was free by the way).

I thought it was a great message and well worth sharing here.

Continue reading Brian McLaren at TransFORM

A final What-A-Study

Me in the morning :: Wednesday's Whatastudy
Wednesday Whatastudy | Self portrait

This morning I wrap up more than 3 years of Wednesday morning What-A-Studies.

What a great time we’ve had. Until last fall Brian (our pastor) led the group. The group then multiplied and some moved to Chick-Fil-A in Waxahachie and a few of us stuck around in Red Oak.

I’ve been facilitating most of the conversations and have richly enjoyed each and every Wednesday morning.

I can only think of a few Wednesdays I’ve missed in the past few years — as it’s a huge highlight of my week.
Continue reading A final What-A-Study

Loving a stranger (Update on helping our friends beat foreclosure)

Vincent van Gogh - The Good Samaritaan

Late last year I invited my friends and family to join with me in helping save a family’s home from foreclosure. It was an amazing experience to see money come in from literally all around the world.

So many of you reached into your pockets and shared love with a stranger.

Thank you!

My friends are now totally clear with the bank. They finally received all the paperwork and approval from the bank, restructured their loan and are now doing great as she’s started her new nursing job.
Continue reading Loving a stranger (Update on helping our friends beat foreclosure)